Blog Archive

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Do our school and central leaders need to be comfortable with and engaged in the exploration of technology tools in learning?

I'm really trying to flesh out some biases I feel I have and may need to dismiss or try harder to address.

Do our school and central leaders need to be comfortable with and engaged in the exploration of technology tools in learning?
When (if ever) will it no longer be okay for our 3rd grade students to be more adept than the teacher, principal, director, etc?
Would that answer fly with other disciplines?
Is there a baseline of knowledge you should be able to demonstrate before leading a classroom, school, department, or district?

My biases tell me that most certainly this is not okay, but I'm not sure I'm right. Someone that I work closely with is brilliant, his expertise on coaching, and use of data to enrich instruction is tremendous. His technology skills are a gaping black hole in his toolbelt, but I'll take him leading us ANY DAY! 

As we all start to go back to our schools, take a look at yourself, your peers, your leader. Are you more prepared to teach and lead this generation of students and teachers than you were in June? What did you do differently? Did you spend time improving your craft? Were you establishing a baseline of technology skills? Did those worlds intertwine? Tell me how it went down, I'm a learner and a teacher and I want to understand.

The_networked_teacher_1

Posted via email from Michael Wacker's posterous

No comments: