Blog Archive

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pew: minorities embrace internet via handheld devices - Ars Technica

Pew: minorities embrace internet via handheld devices - Ars Technica
What an exciting finding and discovery for us as educators. The technology gap and equal access are definitely buzz topics for us in the classroom and in school districts. When I talk to teachers implementing a 1:1 model, I am envious, because I want these opportunities for all students. I believe that online education can help to eliminate achievement gaps, but equal access and capabilities must be there.

If the accessibility gap diminishes when we allow handhelds phones or other, I question why we aren't granting this access. Even if initially launched as a search only or app driven idea, why aren't more schools embracing the cell phones in the classroom model? Fear? I don't know. I know I want to read more about successful implementation so that I can explore this topic more thoroughly. It would have to be in a controlled environment K-12...what would this look like?

No comments: