Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Do we contribute to grade inflation?

Grade Inflation? Great article from christian Science Monitor. The article is in reference to colleges and universities, but as a K-6 teacher I wonder if it reaches down here, too? We use a standards based 1-4 scoring scale, which would not be as measurable as the university numbers to the right.
What makes these grades go up? I asked my students today in class and their responses were.."Are we smarter?" Then they asked "Are teachers, just better?" I didn't know what to say to them. I believe that its a combination of many things. I think that maybe there's a lack of rigor in our classes from Grad school down to Kindergarten. I also think that there are some teachers who may be less likely;y to criticize because of perceived and real repercussions that an entitled generation could lay on them. Is this a genuine issue? I don't know. Then again, maybe we are smarter and teaching better? I don't know, but I know that this post stuck with me all day today as I thought more and more about it, and wondered if I m contributing to this or if I am challenging the students enough.
I love my job and I love the challenges that come our way...I hopoe this can spoark a good conversation for me.

No comments: