Blog Archive

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Facebooking and Education

Great post by Ryan Bretag and a conversation that needs to occur. Great questions posed, like; Should Teachers Accept Friend Requests From Students", and "Should Teachers Request Friendship From Students". I think there are many benefits to online learning and social interaction. I agree with what Ryan says and maybe a Ning is a much tighter and private space for these learnings to be modeled and applied. I use wikis for that purpose because I'm in a K-6 setting and because I want to model safety first. I think that there would be a lot of professors that would be very appreciative if the students came into their classes with strong digital safety education and experience in these settings.
That said, I tweet and I don't mind if my students read along...I keep it clean and try to respect those boundaries we need to have.
Here's a post that also covers this topic pretty well. Thanks Ryan for asking the questions!

1 comment:

Ryan Bretag said...

Hi Michael:

Thanks for mentioning my post and I'm glad it sparked something for you.

In reading your post and comment on my blog, I was really taken by your reference to Twitter. Is it different than Facebook or should the same conversation apply?

In looking at my own post, I think I leaned towards Facebook simply because of the % of students on there and the increasing number of adults. However, should I have limited the scope? Is Facebook already quite established and Twitter so undefined so I didn't think to include both? What of other social networks?

Thanks for making me think beyond just Facebook and into a broader conversation.

This is a tough conversation with no clear answer for me right now.