Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Reflections on wifi, access, and fears.



The iPod touch – careful what you wish for! - The Online Mom

I'll have to admit, when I read this title I immediately was preparing myself for an argument against, whatever this was going to be about. As I read on, I found myself thinking and mumbling to myself about how we can't protect kids from everything, and that maybe it's a good thing that we've given kids wifi in their pockets because now we'll be able to utilize them in the classrooms more and more.
My wife is my lifeline on all things sane, I go too far to one side and she can usually reel me back in, or at least give me some perspective, but for this I'm not so sure. With our kids, we value education and teachable moments, make a mistake...let's learn from it, make a bad choice, why, and how can we make a better one next time. I know it's hippy-dippy, but hey, that's how we roll.
The last 6 months or so, I've repeated the question I heard David Warlick ask months ago, and I'll repeat it here, "What are we going to ask on our tests, when our kids walk in with Google in their pockets." Maybe the question in regards to this article is how can we educate our kids to make the right choices, in an unfiltered world wide web? I'd love to hear more thoughts, or comments, I know I don't have all the answers, I'm really curious as to what others think.


No comments: