Blog Archive

Saturday, March 14, 2009

What does this have to do with education?

I'm not sure what we can learn as teachers from the Chris Brown Rhianna incident, but I can tell you that your students are talking about it, hopefully with their parents, but maybe not. I've thought for a long time that we don't address character education enough in a K-6 setting. I don't mean behavior and rewards based on positive or intrinsic motivators, I mean character in a bigger sense. Reading these articles today made me cringe.
"Rhianna saga showing vicious cycle"
and
"Survey finds many Boston kids placing blame on Rhianna"

The headlines speak to me as a father of a girl and a boy and honestly scare me to death.

What are we doing to educate about the cycles battered men and women find themselves in? I won't rant about this because I try to stay on education topics in this blog, but I do think we should ask ourselves how can we teach character education in a k-12 setting and are we doing enough of it.
Here's a great free resource for teaching character ed in k-12 I'm going to look at it again more closely....hopefully we can find ways to stop this from happening to our little girls and boys.

Screen Capture taken from Bostonherald.com
Resource is from goodcharacter.com

No comments: